Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Portrait Commission

And here's the second of the two adorable brothers. I've just begun work on two larger portraits of these boys. Painting a second portrait of someone is always a little intimidating for me before I begin. I'll never just copy a painting, which is guaranteed to result in a dull, lifeless piece.  I start fresh looking at the person (or a photo). And there's always the big question in the back of my mind: Will it be as good as the original? Maybe someday I'll learn to trust that the second portrait usually does go pretty smoothly--I know my way around that particular face a little bit. But I guess a little bit of fear is good for keeping me focused; relaxing is another way to ruin a painting, at least for me. Anyway, the first of the larger ones is off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment